The most effective strategies, approaches, and methods for teaching ELLs are supported by language acquisition theories. English language acquisition can be promoted by understanding language as an interconnected system and by integrating the discourse and rhetorical structures of ELLs within instruction.
For this assignment, you will devise a language game or communication activity informed by language acquisition theory that integrates listening, speaking, reading, and writing for a grade level within grades K-3.
For your chosen grade level, select a content standard from the Arizona Academic Standards and a corresponding standard from the Arizona English Language Proficiency (ELP) to be aligned with the game or activity. Create at least one learning objective for your game or activity that is aligned with your chosen academic and ELP standards.
Within a 500-750 word submission, include the following:
- The ELA and ELP standards as well as the learning objective(s) to be addressed within your game or activity
- An explanation of the game or activity and how it would be carried out in an educational setting
- A list of the materials needed for your game or activity
- A brief description of at least one language acquisition theory and how it informed the design of your game or activity
- A brief definition of phonetics, phonology, morphology, lexicon, semantics, syntax, and pragmatics. Additionally, include a description of how each of these elements relate to the verbal and written exercises within your game or activity.
Support your submission with at least three scholarly resources.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.