SELECTED: TIMOTHY MCVEIGH
Imagine that you have been retained by the client’s defense attorney as a death penalty mitigation expert. Your role in this capacity is to work as a sentencing advocate on behalf of your client (the defendant). In Week 5, you will prepare a comprehensive case study report. This report will contain an analysis of the psychological factors that may have contributed to the commission of the crimes in the chosen case study and how these psychological factors should be considered as a basis for a prison sentence less than the death penalty. For the purpose of this discussion, we are proceeding as if the client is still alive and has not yet been sentenced (though all of these cases have already been resolved). In your initial post of 300 words, please examine the following and address the questions below:
- Tell us which client you chose and why. That is, what was it about the case that interested you?
- Based upon your preliminary research on this case/client and your assigned textbook readings, what mental disorders might your client be suffering from that may have contributed to the crime?
- Describe the disorder including its signs and symptoms. Connect those that you believe apply to your client’s behavior.
- What does your textbook say about the likelihood that your client’s mental states contributed to the crime?
- Discuss whether psychopathy, insanity, or competence to stand trial are potential issues in your client’s case based upon your preliminary research of the case and your assigned textbook readings.
- Support your claims with examples from the required materials, other scholarly and/or credible sources, and properly cite any references.
Guided Response: Review several of your peers’ initial posts and, in a minimum of 100 words each, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7. As you read through your peers’ posts, please respond to at least two of your classmates who chose a different “client” than you chose. Be sure to provide constructive feedback, and ask follow-up questions to your peers regarding their client and case. That is, focus on what your classmates write about their clients’ biopsychosocial histories. Is this similar to your client’s history? Suggest at least one additional source to your classmates that may be helpful to them in investigating the relationship between the client’s history and the crime. Respond in a substantive manner with specific examples to extend their thinking. Support your claims with examples from the required materials and/or other scholarly or credible sources, and properly cite any references. You are encouraged to post your required replies earlier in the week to promote more meaningful and interactive discourse in this discussion forum. Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 5:00 p.m. (Mountain Time) on Day 7, and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post.